Wednesday, August 22, 2012

'Gilligan's Island' and a Misspent Childhood


File this under "Misspent Childhood."

On Monday, when I walked into the activities room of our local hospital, where I was going to give Holy Communion to interested residents, the activities director was asking trivia questions. "Here's one for you," he said when he saw me. "What were the names of the regular characters on 'Gilligan's Island'?"

I said, "Gilligan, Skipper, Mary Ann, the Professor, Ginger the movie star, and Mr. and Mrs. Thurston Howell III."

"What was Mrs. Howell's name?"

"Lovie," I replied.

"You're right," he said.

What a waste of brain cells! I can't believe I can remember stuff like that and then forget more important things. Too bad you can't clean out your memory the way you can with your computer and only keep what's important.

Too bad too that I spent enough time in front of the TV set as a kid to remember junk like this, but couldn't remember what an Isosceles Triangle is on threat of death.

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale..."

No comments: