Monday, November 03, 2014

"I believe that we will..."

"I believe that we will win." By now, many will have heard that simple, infectious chant at sporting events.

Evidently, it was taken up by fans of the United States soccer team during its recent World Cup matches.

Youtube shows a lot of college basketball and football fans using it, especially out in Utah, as early as 2010.

But wherever the chant came from, it's cool, especially when it's not part of the official program, simply arising spontaneously from the stands.

The whole phenomenon set me to thinking, though. Every Sunday at our church and, I know, at most churches, there's a time set aside for people to confess their belief in the triune God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Some do it with altar calls. My tradition does it with the historic creeds of the Church--the Apostles' Creed, the Nicene Creed, and sometimes the Athanasian Creed.

But what if, at the point in our services usually designated for us to confess our faith, someone took up a simple chant, believers bobbing up and down in celebration and belief? It might be kind of cool. Can you hear it?
I believe in Father God
I believe in God the Son
I believe in God the Spirit
I believe the Three-in-One!

I believe in Father God
I believe in God the Son
I believe in God the Spirit
I believe the Three-in-One!

I believe in Father God
I believe in God the Son
I believe in God the Spirit
I believe the Three-in-One!
Go ahead, you know you're chanting it silently at your computer right now. Stand up! Do a little aerobic praise. Bob up and down and chant away what you believe! Feel free to post videos of you, your family, your youth group, your basketball team, or whatever on Facebook or Youtube. A lot of people might be encouraged by the sight of Christians showing as much enthusiasm in cheering for God as all of us often do at ball games.

Oh, if you're not sure how the chant should go, here's one example from Utah State four years ago:



No comments: