Thursday, February 16, 2017

When I wore my clerical collar to Sam's

After leaving the church building on Wednesday, on my way back to the condo for lunch and to do some work here, I swung by Sam's Club to pick up a few items.

I checked myself out, then showed my receipt for verification to the employee stationed by the self-check station. He did his thing, then fixed me with a friendly gaze and said, "Reverend, may I tell you how happy I am to see you in your collar?"

Sometimes, when I go to places and I'm wearing my clerical collar, I almost forget that I have it on. Over the past 32 years, it's just become part of me, I suppose.

But I realize that for many people, merely appearing in the uniform of my office as a pastor of Christ's Church makes them feel good. The collar becomes a reminder in places you might not associate with Christ that He cares about every aspect of their lives. It feels good for me to be able to help people remember this even when I don't say a word.

[Blogger Mark Daniels is pastor of Living Water Lutheran Church in Centerville, Ohio.]


No comments: