Wednesday, June 10, 2020

The Right Time To Do The Right Thing

"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap."

This bit of wisdom from Ecclesiastes 11:4 spoke to me during my quiet time with God this morning.

If we always delay doing the right things until "the right times," those right things never get done.

Some tasks require preparation. Bounding into new enterprises, relationships, jobs, or purchases without prayer, seeking wisdom, and consideration makes little sense.

But the fear of failure also doesn't make sense. If, as a disciple of Jesus, I truly believe that He is with me always, I know that failure isn't the end of the story for me. Failure should hold no fear for me.

The fact is, if I try to do the right things, I WILL fail sometimes. Maybe most of the time. But I'll still be--eternally--in the hands of the Savior Who has made me His own.

It's always the right time to do the will of God: to know God better through His Word, the Sacraments, the fellowship of the Church, and the daily repentance and renewal Christ affords us as we fellowship with Him; to love God and love neighbor; to make disciples.

Putting off following Christ, which is God's will for all of us, according to John 6:29, for a better time, is like putting off breathing until it's convenient.

And what about those things you think God may be calling you to do, the things that employ the gifts, the passions, and the work God has given to you to do?

These words from Ecclesiastes tell us no more waiting for the right times.

God is calling you to speak out against injustice? Speak.

God wants you to write? Start writing.

God wants you to check up on an elderly person, help raise your grandchildren, serve on a committee for the betterment of your community? Go for it.

And, if you're a Christian and you've been putting off sharing the good news of new and everlasting life with God through faith in Jesus, it's time to ignore the wind or the clouds.

People need to know how desperately and passionately God loves them, so much so that God the Son came into the world and immersed Himself into our darkness and the chaos of human sin and death in order to retrieve life, peace, forgiveness, and an eternity of hope for those who trust in the Son, Jesus.

You don't want to put off looking for ways to share the best news anyone could ever receive! This is a good time to share this good news message (the gospel) with love and abandon: "I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation." (2 Corinthians 6:2)

Lord God, fill me with faith in Christ, and with it, both the assurance that I am forgiven my sins and You are with me always. When it's time for me to plant, don't let me be thwarted by noticing the wind. When it's time to reap, don't let me be stopped by clouds portending rain. Help me to be faithful to You right now, today. In Jesus' name. Amen

No comments: