Friday, October 20, 2023

God is Looking for the Tender-Hearted and the Humble

This morning, as part of my quiet time with God, I read 2 Chronicles 32-34, which includes the account of the rediscovery of "the book of the Law" that had been long forgotten by God's people.
When it was first read to Judah's King Josiah, he was overcome with grief because he, his people, and their ancestors had neglected God and followed false deities.
This was the beginning of Josiah's reforms, turning Israel back to openness to God's Word and humble submission to the God we now know in Jesus Christ.
When we read about Old Testament Israel, we shouldn't think of a nation-state like the United States or even modern Israel. The Israel of the Old Testament is the Church anticipating the coming of the Messiah Jesus. Today's Church is the "Israel of God," encompassing Jews and Gentiles who, by the power of God's Word, can declare that Jesus, Yahweh in the flesh, is Lord and God.
The account of Josiah and his reforms then should inspire the whole Church to turn away from sin and away from trying to look like or placate the world and to turn to the God revealed in Jesus Christ as our only hope for this world or the next.
Jesus Christ gave up his sinless life so that sinners like me...and you...can have life with God, not through the performance of religious rites or good deeds, but solely because Christ covers those who daily turn to Him in faith with His sinlessness and righteousness. Christ comes to us in His Word, the fellowship of the Church, and in the proclamation of God's Word about Christ and in the faithful sharing of the Sacraments--Holy Baptism and Holy Communion--among His people.
I'm both chastened and inspired by the example of Josiah's faith. I dream of what God can do among people who, like Josiah, are open to God's Word and humble in following Him.

Heavenly Father, make my heart tender to Your Word, to see that, in myself, I stand under condemnation for failing to obey Your commands, but to see also that, because of Christ, Who is the way and truth and the life, You forgive my sins and give me life with You that never ends. Make me humble to live under Your will, authority, and loving lordship. In the name of Jesus, I pray these things. Amen 

No comments: