Tuesday, April 19, 2005

How Not To Win Friends and Influence People

Taking a break from preparations for tonight's Forty Days of Purpose small group, I checked out the always interesting blog site of Ann Althouse and was of course, rewarded. Althouse has a short post on the explanation of a person who recently confronted Supreme Court Justice in a rude way. A really fine post!

I felt moved to respond:
Ann:
...We do have freedom of speech in this country. So, to an extent I suppose, we have the right to be rude to others, irrespective of their stations.

But I wonder how politic it is.

Incidentally, while I personally regard the practice of homosexuality as a sin, I favor moves toward securing full civil rights for gays and lesbians, including an openness to the establishment of some sort of civil recognition of marriage-like relationships. (This I deem no threat to marriage or the Church. I regard "marriage" under state laws to be a different, though often coterminous, institution from the relationship we recognize within the Church.)

I say all this by way of explaining that my rejection of rudeness has nothing to do with a bias.

Interesting post!



No comments: