Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Buckeyes' Miracle Season Continues!

Last Friday, my wife, son, and I all had days off from our work and decided to go visit my parents and my wife's mother in our hometown, Columbus. While there, we went to get pizzas at my choice of the restaurant selling the best pizzas on the planet, Tommy's on West Lane Avenue in Upper Arlington.

A poster there showed the schedule of the Ohio State men's basketball team. Looking at the final five games on the regular season schedule, I commented to my son, "They very easily could go 4 and 1 before the Big Ten tournament." Another guy waiting on his 'za nodded in agreement, both of us thinking that, while not impossible, it would be difficult for the Buckeyes to get a road win against Michigan State in East Lansing.

But, the miracle season for OSU's men's program continued to offer surprises on Wednesday night, as they defeated the Spartans on their home court. Road wins have been almost impossible to come by in the Big Ten this year, making the Buckeyes' late-season win against an outstanding Michigan State team amazing! The victory makes OSU 20-4, tied with Iowa for first place in a conference that will probably place seven teams in the NCAA tournament.

As I've said before, I've always fully expected the Buckeyes to vie for Big Ten and national titles next season. But this year has been a total and wonderful surprise! Anything that Thad Matta's crew does from now on will be the proverbial icing on the cake!

2 comments:

Matt Brown said...

Go Bucks! (I've live in Indianapolis now but I was born and reared in Dayton)

Mark Daniels said...

You are in truly foreign territory during basketball season, then.

Thanks for dropping by, Matt!

Mark