Friday, October 20, 2006

Saint Louis Gets Into World Series with Seventh Game Win Over Mets

This is a real surprise to me. As Joe Buck pointed out last night, the Cardinals were a measly 22-28 in the last games of the season. They were streaky all year long. The Mets, on the other hand, were the best team in the National League from wire to wire. I had fully expected a New York subway series, given that the Yankees and Mets sported identical winning records, each tops in their leagues.

I'm sure that the conventional wisdom will make the Tigers the favorites and that may be warranted. But given their streaky year, the Cardinals could conceivably put together a monster streak and sweep the thing.

I've got no dog in this hunt, as they say, though I am glad that Detroit is in the series after a twenty-two year absence.

And, if my beloved Reds can't be in the Series, it's fun to see the Cardinals there for the simple reason that Saint Louis may be the best baseball town, with the best baseball fans, in America. (Boston is right up there, too.)

It's going to be fun to watch.

No comments: