Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Few Video Clips...

from the jaunt my son, Phil, and I took to Columbus to go to Schmidt's and the Clippers baseball game at Cooper Stadium with my Dad on Monday night.

Leaving Schmidt's in the German Village section of Columbus. Phil's video-ing from the backseat, I'm driving, and Dad is in the passenger seat. We start out turning onto Kossuth, then head south toward Schiller Park.

I mention the story of a man named Mark Eisenmann, about whom I wrote in a short article for Columbus Monthly magazine back in the 1970s. I mention the story Eisenmann told me about the German youth killed during a parade in which he wore native German dress--which I later independently confirmed--here.



Next, a brief and somewhat inaccurate history of Cooper Stadium, I gave to Phil on the parking lot. Inaccuracies, for sure: (1) The Clippers actually began play there in 1977, not 1978. (2) The Clippers will continue playing at The Coop through the end of the 2008 season. There may be more. Let me know if you find them.

As usual, YouTube darkens videos and somewhat muffles the sound.



Dad and I were telling Phil a bit about The Coop as we stood at field level, about a half-hour before game time. I had recalled how the stadium had remained dormant for the better part of a decade and we proceeded to tell him more about the place. Unbeknownst to me, Phil fired up the video function on his camera and prompted me to begin at the beginning.

No comments: