Thursday, November 15, 2007

Wow!

On Monday, the congregation I've recently begun to serve as pastor, Saint Matthew Lutheran Church in Logan, Ohio, hosted a blood drive. The congregation was actively involved in it in countless ways.

I enjoyed observing how the people of Saint Matthew and of Logan came together for this great event. It was love in action, full of good humor...and great home-made food!

In addition to seeing Central Ohio Red Cross personnel process the blood donations of 77 people, I witnessed another wonderful thing: 76 people underwent bone marrow transplant screening.

The coordinator of the screenings was stunned. Ordinarily, she told me, she would expect that a number equivalent to 10% of those who donated blood would submit to the transplant screening. But there was a good reason for the response of the people of Logan. Even though they knew that there was little chance that their marrow would be a match, their hearts have been touched by the courageous battle against leukemia being waged by a Logan teen. I'm privileged to be her pastor. Through her, they know that bone marrow transplants can give leukemia patients new leases on life!

Right now, Sarah is undergoing a round of chemotherapy. She's no doubt buoyed by the prayers and love of many people, not to mention her own plucky faith and by the support of good friends and an extraordinary family and church community.

Seeing the response of the people of Logan and Saint Matthew made me offer a prayer of thankfulness that God has allowed me to come here.

I'm also continuing to pray for Sarah and I would appreciate your prayers for her as well.

[For information on how a bone marrow transplant works, go here.]

3 comments:

DonSchenck said...

Lutherans and good food.

Why am I NOT surprised?? :-)

I almost like you, Buckeye.

WE ARE!

:-)

Charlie said...

A wonderful testimony to the generosity of God's people, learned at the feet of a generous God. Thanks for sharing it, Mark.

Mark Daniels said...

It's true that Lutherans and good food always go together.

It was wonderful to see, Charlie!

Blessings in Christ,
Mark