Sunday, April 26, 2015

Last Lines #1

The last line from Ellis Peters' Flight of a Witch, one of her Inspector George Felse mysteries:
Then he turned, patient, stubborn, and profoundly sure of himself, and went to Annet with the roses.
With insight into varied human personalities, the mystery of growing up, and descriptive narrative, Peters always tells her tales. She is one of my favorite mystery writers. But more than that, one of my favorite writers.

By the way, if this book, written and set in England in 1964, ever gets made into a movie, the perfect song to play to accompany the young man going confidently to Annet is the Beatles' I'll Get You in the End. Recorded and released in 1963 as the B-Side to the She Loves You single, it includes these lines:

It's not like me to pretend
But I'll get you, I'll get you in the end
Yes I will, I'll get you in the end





No comments: