Saturday, September 05, 2015

The hardest prayer...and why I pray it

I've said it before, the hardest prayer we're commanded by Jesus to offer up to God our Father is, "Your will be done."

I've been a Christian now for nearly four decades and that prayer never gets easier for me.

But when I think of what Christ did for me on the cross and from the tomb made empty by God's love, how can I pray for anything but that God's will be done?

The apostle Paul writes in Romans 8:18: "I consider that the our present sufferings [even, presumably, our self-inflicted sufferings, those that result from our own selfishness] are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed" [when Christ returns and the dead who in this life trusted in Christ will rise to live with Him for eternity]."

When my eye remains on the resurrection prize and when my heart is filled with sufficient gratitude for Christ's death and resurrection for me, I can pray that prayer, trusting that God is bent on making all things right. Even when I prefer that my will be done.

No comments: