Sunday, March 06, 2016

When I Look at the World by U2

I've had this song in my head and playing on my computer all day long.

It fits perfectly with tomorrow's second Bible lesson, which I'll be talking about during worship, 2 Corinthians 5:16-21. I even thought of playing this video during worship. But it would be a bit too long and not leave time to do the passage justice.

In the passage, Paul talks about how being "in Christ," in relationship with Jesus, empowers us to see people and the whole world differently, through the eyes of Christ. I find that this transformation of perspective is far from complete in me. (I know that it will never be complete on this side of the grave as the old Mark still daily battles with the new Mark. That transformation will only be perfected after I have been raised with all the other dead in Christ.)

Like Bono though, I pray that God will help me to feel and see things more like He does.

I aspire to pray with sincerity each day the same petition offered by the late Bob Pierce: "Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God.”

Frequently, I confess to God the frustration I feel with myself, as Bono does at the end of the song: "Tell me, tell me, what do you see? / Tell me, tell me, what's wrong with me?"

"Change my heart, make it ever true / Change my heart, O God / May I be like You / You are the Potter / I am the clay / Mold me and make me / This is what I pray."


No comments: