Sunday, October 21, 2007

'Forever Together Again'

[Today was my last Sunday as pastor of Friendship Lutheran Church in Amelia, Ohio, a congregation I was privileged to have started seventeen years ago. I excitedly anticipate beginning my work as pastor Saint Matthew Lutheran Church in Logan, Ohio, on November 1.

[This is a song which I presented a cappella at the end of today's worship celebration. The congregation then sang it with me. The melody I composed is so simple, that folks were able to sing along readily.

[Briefly, the story behind the song is that many years ago, when I was a young pastor, one of my mentors was Pastor Richard Jensen, a systematic theologian, former missionary, and one-time preacher on the ELCA's weekly radio show, then called Lutheran Vespers, now called Grace Matters. In his work, Dick did a lot of traveling and found himself always having to say, "Goodbye." This bothered him, he told me, but he took great comfort from the fact that as a believer in Jesus Christ, he knew that one day, there would no need to say, "Goodbye." Believers in Christ live in the assurance that in eternity, we'll only say, "Hello!"

[As I contemplated my leaving Friendship and this community, I thought of Dick's words and composed this song. If I think of it later, I may record it for the blog.]


Forever Together Again
Some day, I’m going to see you again
I’m not the one to say when
But I know I’m going to see you again

One day, when we no longer grow old
We'll walk on streets made of gold
And I’m sure, I’m going to see you again

The hardest part of living today is learning to say, “Goodbye”
Each sad farewell reminds us that we aren’t in control of this life

Some day, the hope we hold will prove true
We'll live with Christ ever new
And it’s then, we’ll be together again

The hardest part of living today is learning to say, “Goodbye”
Each sad farewell reminds us that we aren’t in control of this life

Some day, the One we trust with our lives
The One Who promised we’d rise
Will bring us together again
Will bring us together again
Forever together again.
Copyright 2007, Words and Music by Mark Daniels

2 comments:

John said...

Mark, what an exciting time for you and the family. I will keep you in my prayers everytime I read your blog.

Be encouraged!
GBYAY

Mark Daniels said...

Thank you, John.

God bless!

Mark