Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A wonderful bit of writing

I'm working my way, slowly, through Dickens' David Copperfield. I read this paragraph on Monday and had to read it several times. It's so descriptive of the self-satisfied, judgmental, and successful, some of which may describe all of us at times, I guess:
I was much impressed by the extremely comfortable and satisfied manner in which Mr. Warerbrook delivered himself of this little word "Yes" every now and then. There was wonderful expression in it. It completely conveyed the idea of a man who had been born, not to say with a silver spoon, but with a scaling ladder, and had gone on mounting all the heights of life one after another, until now he looked, from the top of the fortifications, with the eye of a philosopher and a patron, on the people down in the trenches.

No comments: