Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Is there anything good going on?

In the space of a few minutes this morning, one friend on Facebook and an acquaintance over on Twitter asked for positive news in the face of the avalanche of stuff happening in our world. 

Good idea! 

Here’s my start to that list.

(1) Jesus is still Lord and as you turn to Him each day in desperate trust, you know He’ll always be YOUR Lord.
(2) Despite all the hatred we see, people still regularly pray for others, even strangers they’ve never met. Empathy still exists in our world.
(3) By the grace of God and, building on the work of research done on the SARS virus, we have a COVID-19 vaccine nine months earlier than I dreamed possible last March. Despite problems with vaccine distribution right now, with God’s help, this virus will be destroyed in 2021!
(4) There are so many heroes in our world today, like healthcare workers, medical researchers, and public health officials. They inspire me.
(5) The Word of God is still true. Jesus says, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33) Jesus HAS overcome this world. All the nastiness we see represents the last gasps of sin and death for a creation that will, in Jesus’ return, be replaced by new heavens and a new earth for all who persist in trusting in Jesus. Jesus promises: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die...” (John 11:25-26).
The last gasps of this fallen world may end tomorrow or two millennia from today. That’s up to God. Whatever time is left, however troubled it may be, is a gift from God, allowing us to turn from sin and trust in Jesus for life. Peter speaks of this: “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)
For me, as may be for you, there are other good things, like...
1. My wife and I are joyfully looking forward to the birth of our first grandchild in a few weeks;
2. The people of Living Water Lutheran Church, where I serve as pastor, are still incredibly faithful despite little in-person worship in ten months;
3. By taking the right mitigating steps, most people can avoid both spreading or getting the virus;
4. FaceTime, Zoom, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook have helped us keep in touch with family and friends;
5. These same technologies have allowed our church to worship God together and, here on Facebook, study His Word together EVERY WEEKNIGHT, something we never would have done in-person;
6. My dad, age 91, is still going strong and I’m so grateful to my sisters and their husbands for the care they provide for him;
7. Our kids are doing well...
I could go on. Want to add to the list in the comments?
God bless you!


 

No comments: