There are lots of pracitical tips on blogging and he presents a reasoned case for the proposition that the rise of the blogs has the potential for democratizing culture the way the printing press once did.
I particularly liked Hugh's checklist for producing a blog of "success and significance." ('Better Living' even seems to conform to some of these.) Here's Hugh's list:
- Post often
- Link freely
- Be generous in praise and attribution
- Don't be long-winded too often, if at all. Brevity is the soul of blogging when you are getting started.
- Paragraphs are your friend
- Profanity loses audiences
- Avoid feuds and flame wars
- At least at the start, skip the comments sections. You end up with the problem of nuts if you are any good
- Keep the title short and easy to remember so that it is easy to recall and type into the space at the top of the page