President Bush has inched closer to the position of his good ally, British Prime Minister Tony Blair on bringing debt relief and the real possibility of assisting Africa in getting out from under post-Colonial debt and various pandemics. I'm praying that as the President and America's G8 Partners meet on July 6 in Scotland, they will enact the program of The ONE Campaign, details of which you can read about here. While on that site, please prayerfully consider becoming a signatory to a letter to the President.
Less than 1% of the United States' federal budget goes to foreign aid. But aid to African can be seen as a selfish investment on our country'a part: A prospering Africa will be a market for US products and decrease the appeal of terrorism. In addition, the US will be protected from the "splashback" of medical disasters emanating from the African continent.
Above all, we will be saving lives that are unnecessarily threatened by a poverty which is so oppressive that at present, Africans have no hope of providing for their children or averting the ever-present threats of famine and starvation.
The ONE Campaign program is simple. It's also Biblical--in Old Testament times, God's people regularly forgave all their debtors owed them during so-called Jubilee Years. Here's how The ONE Campaign is explained in the letter to the President that you can sign onto at the campaign's site:
Because:Christian leaders like Billy Graham, John Stott, Rick Warren, and others have joined people of other faiths in endorsing this important initiative.
* ONE billion people around the world live on less than ONE dollar a day;
* The US government spends less than ONE percent on overcoming global AIDS and poverty;
* Citizens are uniting as ONE across political and religious divides to support action to overcome the emergency of global AIDS and extreme poverty.
At the G8 leaders meeting on July 6th we urge you to:
* Help the poorest people of the world fight poverty, AIDS and hunger at a cost equal to just ONE percent more of the US budget on a clear timetable;
* Cancel 100% of the debts owed by the poorest countries;
* Reform trade rules so poor countries can earn sustainable incomes.
Please, make your voice heard and go to the web site to commend The ONE Campaign to the President!